Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Life with insulin & colds

December 8th 2007

(email excerpt to my Zambian cousins Towani, Yaliwe & their Mum)

My life exits in 2 hour cycles already and I'm not even doing night feedings yet LOL...seriously, I either test my sugar or take insulin every two hours and the novelty is quickly wearing off. The needle is not so bad, it's making sure I have needles, insulin, test strips and enough food that is very exhausting.

My house is down with cold (me) and flu (Greg) and it is quarantine time. We got sick from Greg's little son Tavaris who he was baby sitting for two days last week because he was sick, now T's mom is sick, his daughter Donna is sick and we are both sick. I am on the mend faster (thanks to years of bronchial issues my colds are accelerated and hit my chest fast) but Greg is down with a very high temp and lots of aches and pains. It's kinda scary how sick he is but I'm listening to my mom and giving him lots of fluids (clear tea with lemon and garlic), a tylenol for the fever and hot water bottles, a touque and heating pad to sweat it out tonight.

Baby is great! aka Syaba (peanut) from big sis Mbone, he/she is kicking me from the inside but no indigestion, constipation or anything else freaky. I did pick up a prescription today for a bladder infection that I have no symptoms for, but it showed up in my blood work. My heart ultrasound was on Monday and went well I guess, the results have not been sent to my diabetes Dr as yet but it was weird and fun at the same time to see all those images and my heart thumping away on a big screen.

Have been seeing my diabetes team at Mnt. Sinai every other day to work on my carb counts and insulin levels and all seems to be moving along well. I have to get a fancy scale around Xmas to help with the counting of carbs but until then, I am to have some very specific numbers at each meal and I call in my results so they can adjust my insulin levels....sigh. This is a full time job!

The baby shower is planned for late February at my friend Stephanie's condo party room on Lakeshore West where we'll have underground parking, a fireplace, kitchen and suites for those travelling from out of town.

OK...back is tired and I have this numbness in my leg now from certain sitting/lying positions so I'm going to hit the sack. It's time for Greg's vitamin C and pain tablet.

No comments: