Thursday, July 26, 2007

Roadtrips with Diabetics...CAUTION!

I LOVE ROADTRIPS!!!

So I recently headed down to Sumfest for three days at the Dancehall, Reggae & RnB music festival. On the way down with two friends we stopped for the usual "gas up the car and grab some snacks" and I thought that with my Diabetes, I could handle some Diet Pepsi and a plantan chip packet.

HA - this habit of stopping on the road for snacks and stretching would end up crippling me for the Saturday night show and having me miss Mary J Blige...grrrrrr

Here is what happened....

Add the chips + pop but now you need to subtract the 4 bottles of water I would have had at that time of day if I weren't on the road...

then add the light beer and festival at Faith's Pen roadside stop

then add the vodka and Pepsi at the venue on Thursday night and you can see how the sugar started to tip over. Yes...they gave me a real 32 grams of sugar real PEPSI even when he said it was diet!!!!By Saturday night I was over 22 points and headed to a hospital if I didn't stop this runawy train from headed even higher.



So we started with the 2 gallons of water, rest, walking, an aqua exercise session in the pool...another 2 gallos of water, more rest, more walking and then...

Sunday morning we hit 15...woo woo!!! So to all of you Type II's here is a warning and a message.

Take food on the road with you...DON'T TRUST ROADSIDE SNACKS

If you can, bring your diet drink with you to the bar or (sad as it is,) call ahead to the bar and make sure what the bartender pours you in in FACT, a diet drink.

Vomitting instead of Mary J was sooo not cool.

No comments: