Monday, July 2, 2007

Update from the front

I apologize for the long-winded email but this is the best time I have for the next week or so to sit down and really explain what I've been up to even in the past month! I'm trying to get a blog site set up where I can send you to see the photos of what we have been visiting and seeing for the past few months.

My sugars are hopefully finished with their roller coaster ride and now that I’m on meds, the balance is back. I walk/run 45mins every morning with a friend who lives up the street and I test once/day before dinner. It’s a battle but I’ve kicked smoking but assure you anytime alcohol or caffeine enters my system, I’m weak so…THANK GOD FOR NICODERM CQ!

Last few weeks: Well I've been to Barbados in the past few weeks, up to the north coast, figuring out my next move and handling some bad sugar days that have been pretty severe...all in all, I am OK and planning some new and exciting adventures. Biggest worry has been about my puppy, Cody, the house and making sure I can get enough money to cover the property taxes. That and getting a new tenant is a big part of my day as I launch the sponsorship model I created across the Caribbean.

2 weekends ago – went to stay at a lovely family-style condo in Ocho Rios where we swam in the pool and went on an excursion to see “Laughing Waters”, which is where they filmed Dr. No…the beach scene? Oh yes darling, we have photos and they will come as soon as I can get them off Greg’s computer tonight! It was so lovely…a friend was getting married on the beach so we went to see the set up and I played in a waterfall! See the photo gallery for those great shots taken by Greg,

Things are settling down in a good pace and our plans for the future are solid. Needless to say, he has moved to Jamaica and we will be spending visiting time in Canada...he needs to come home at least every 6 wks to see his son Tavaris and daughter, Donna so there will still be lots of travelling back and forth to come. It is so nice to have a partner during all of this upheaval and in order for me to stay healthy it has meant re-learning how to ask for help. I hear your jaw dropping, but it’s true, I ask now!

Work - As I mentioned above, I went to Barbados to present the Corporate Social Responsibility departmental model I've been building in Jamaica to the Marketing and Communications teams from across the region. It was amazing! Validating in that, for the past 5 years or so I realized that I'm a social entrepreneur and need to have some balance to the capitalistic efforts I do and need to recommend for the company in order to meet their bottom line. But allowing now a dialogue of how can these activities improve your social and philanthropic image in the community.... and actually affect change? That is so fulfilling...I'm working very closely now with Marketing departments in Barbados, St. Kitts, Panama, Antigua & Barbuda, Trinidad, Dominica and Cayman...just to name a few. I've set up an online application process that ties to a back end database for PR to tap into for stories, photos, an event calendar and virtual file sharing for the company...phew!

World Cup Cricket – Undoubtedly the largest event I have ever worked on. Global exposure that I’d love to get involved in more organizing eventually. As of right now, my CV includes work with the NBA MVP, Steve Nash, Multi-Platinum winning Alicia Keys, FIFA World Cup 2006, World Cup Cricket 2007 and now Caribbean Fashion Week…it’s a lot but Cricket was my largest budget (in excess of 3 million dollars US!) and we made an impact.

Very few companies were able to confirm they received ROI (return on their investment) and we have even managed to create a legacy program in the country by creating and paying for updated road signage across the island. Now when I need to figure out which roundabout exit goes to Greg’s mom’s house in Mandeville, I get my information from Highways signs that I PAID FOR!!

I only nearly got sued once and that was because I bartered with a small school across from Sabina Park to put our brand logo on their roof in return for 3 years of free Internet service, 2 computers and free e-learning classes for all their teachers. Here is the joke…the school roof is right in the sight line of all the world’s camera’s for Cricket LOL! So the ICC (owners of the game) lawyers on my case at 3am in the morning before the first match in Jamaica to take the sign down…my lawyers said “make us” and they did nothing because they had no grounds to even demand it’s removal.

There is nothing in my contract that says I can’t brand outside the Red Zone and just because you put your cameras there…it’s not my fault. So the game was slightly delayed because the ICC had to pay a crew to come in and MOVE the signage that was painted on the pitch…why? Because they moved the entire TV media entourage 10 feet to left to avoid my logo on the roof across the street!!! We made every paper for pushing the edge of a horrible contract that left most Caribbean countries broke with unsupportable infrastructure, stadiums and huge losses from no tourists showing up.

Blame the CariComm VISA, which required regular tourists to get a passport prior to arriving, and that India and Pakistan were ousted in the first round of matches and instantly you can calculate a loss of at least 20,000 visitors/day. So the file is closed and I got kudos’ from the entire region on our “audacity”…. Love it!

Looking forward to taking your bookings for the condo in Ocho Rios so you can come join us as well. (It’s really affordable and comes with a housekeeper/chef who does all your meals.)

Towa Beer
7 Seaview Avenue,
Apt. #12
New Kingston, 6
Jamaica

HOLLA BACK Y"all!

No comments: